There are so many layers of flavor here from the mirepoix, to the curry, to the coconut, to the potent shrimp stock and of course, the pumpkin. This is a hearty, homey soup perfect for Autumn!
There are quite a few steps but don’t let this intimidate you. Organize your ingredients, your tools and get to work! I always say, work smarter not harder. Tackle one thing at a time in the order that you will be working. If you are roasting your fresh pumpkin, get that out of the way first. While that’s happening, you can get your shrimp stock simmering. Once you have everything lines up, just bang it on out!
8 cup fresh chopped, roasted pumpkin (3-4 C canned pumpkin)
1 large onion
3 celery stalks
2 large carrots, or 3-5 smaller carrots
4-6 garlic cloves
1-2 lbs shrimp, deveined (save shells)
1- 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
6 tbsp preferred curry powder
5 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
kosher salt, to taste
- If you are using fresh pumpkin, roast this first. You can follow the steps here.
- Peel your shrimp and place the shells in a pot, cover with water
- Prepare your mirepoix
- Roughly chop celery, carrot, onion
- Throw any peels, tops, etc. in the pot with the shrimp, stir.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, this will be your shrimp stock
- Over medium heat, soften the mirepoix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pumpkin, add your spices plus salt and pepper
- Drain the shells and peels from the stock
- Add 3-4 cups of shrimp stock, stir
- Reduce to simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Using an immersion blender, food processor or regular blender
- Return to your pot, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer
- Add the coconut milk and 1-2 splashes of Worcestershire sauce
- Taste, taste, taste! Adjust your spices as needed. My family likes bold spice and flavor, you may want a little less or a little more. This is where you taste and adjust.
- Add your shrimp, stir and close the lid. Your shrimp will gently poach in the soup liquid.
- Allow to simmer for another 20-30 minutes
Top with pepitas, drizzle of coconut milk or chopped mint or cilantro!
© 2017 by Alexa Mason. All Rights Reserved