Second installment of the #TT series of dishes that have been previously posted elsewhere without a recipe. I made this a few weeks ago and it was a hit. So many flavors, so much cheese. Because the tortillas (1) do not require rolling and (2) are not pre-dipped in oil you save time and we’re talking healthier. So you can enjoy more cheese.
15-20 corn tortillas
1 15oz can of diced or whole tomato
1 small onion
4-6 cloves of garlic
1-2 chipotle in adobo
1 cup of chicken broth, low sodium
2 scallions (white and green parts)
1 can of black beans, drained
2-3 chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs
2-3 tbsp of oil
garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and cumin
½ tsp of kosher salt and pepper
Juice and zest of half a lime
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large pot, add a tbsp of the oil and the onion. Let it sweat a bit before adding the garlic. Add in the chopped up chipotle pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper, as well as 1 tsp each of garlic powder, cumin and chili powder.
- Add tomato and chicken broth
- Bring to a boil and allow to simmer.
- In a large bowl, place your chicken and add remaining oil, seasonings (2 tsp of each) and lime. Toss until coated well.
- Put coated chicken in an oven-safe pan and bake until cooked through, about 20-30 minutes. Internal temp should register at 165 degrees.
- Let the chicken rest.
- At this point you want to either use an immersion blender or pour your tomato base into a blender and pulse, some texture is okay.
- Return to the pot and bring to a boil and return to a simmer. Taste and adjust spices and salt as necessary.
- Chop up the chicken and the scallions
- Turn oven down to 375.
- In a large, oven safe pan, spray with cooking spray
- Create a single layer of corn tortillas, cutting pieces to fit as needed.
- Ladle some of the tomato sauce
- Sprinkle some of the chicken, the beans and the scallions.
- Top with cheese. Repeat steps 13-16 until the pan is full. You should be able to get 3 layers.
- Final layer should be sauce and cheese. Bake until bubbling.
© 2016 by Alexa Mason. All Rights Reserved