2 lbs shrimp
½-1lb smoked sausage or andouille
1-2 green peppers
4-5 ribs of celery
1 large onion
4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
1 bundle of fresh thyme
2-3 bay leaves
Generous pinch of crushed red pepper
1-2 tsp of cayenne
(all of these to your preference)
Scallions to garnish
To begin, devein and shell your shrimp. Put your shrimp shells in a pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Chop your veg
- Brown your sausage in some oil.
- Add your holy trinity and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add your tomatoes.
- Strain 4-6 cups of the shrimp stock and add to the pot.
- Add your bay leaves and thyme bundle.
- Add salt and pepper and taste.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add your shrimp. Cover and simmer for about 6-7 minutes.
- Taste and adjust your seasoning.
- Serve over rice and garnish with scallions.
Adapted from Anne Burrell’s Jambalaya.