This pizza is packed with veggies, herbs and several different kinds of cheeses. You can find a simple pizza dough recipe here. If you have a pizza stone, by all means use that. I do not have one so I tend to just use my cast iron griddle and cast iron pans to make my pizzas.
Please be careful as there is a lot of putting in and taking out of the oven. You need to move pretty fast once you start the baking process so I strongly recommend prepping everything before you begin.
Balsamic reduction is a favorite of mine when it comes to tomatoes and Brussel sprouts, so I whipped up a small amount to drizzle over the pizza. That seriously took the whole dish to the next level. You can adapt this to use up whatever veg you have on hand. Season and adjust ingredients to suit your taste! At the base, it’s a simple dough and a simple ricotta mixture, feel free to customize and build upon it.
Italian Cheese Blend
Thinly sliced, or shaved Brussel sprouts
- Preheat your cast iron (or pizza stone) in the oven at 500 degrees
- Slice and shave your vegetables
- In a small bowl, mix the shaved brussels with a little bit of oil (and s&p)
- In another small bowl, toss the zuchinni with a little bit of oil (and s&p)
- Slice tomatoes, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix ricotta, herbs, salt, pepper, parmesan and grate fresh garlic into the mixture.
- Slowly add milk a bit at a time and whisk until it is smooth and spreadable
- Taste and adjust seasonings (including herbs) to suit your taste.
- I used a fair amount of dried herbs in this. You can absolutely use fresh if you have them on hand.
- Set aside.
- Prepare your dough.
- Roll out the dough to suit your baking vehicle (cast iron skillet, griddle, pizza stone, etc).
- Carefully remove baking vehicle from the oven, sprinkle with flour or corn meal.
- Carefully place your dough onto it.
- If you have ‘extra’ dough hanging, carefully roll it up and make a ‘border’ and brush it with oil
- Gently pierce the bottom of the dough with a fork to ensure it doesn’t bubble up too much when in the oven.
- Pre-bake the dough for about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Spread ricotta mixture and make sure you leave about ½” space
- Sprinkle a bit of the shredded cheese
- Arrange the zucchini
- Bake for about 5 minutes
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle more cheese.
- Arrange tomatoes and distribute the shredded Brussel sprouts
- Bake for about 5-10 minutes.
For simple balsamic reduction:
- Pour about a quarter cup of balsamic vinegar into a pot over medium heat
- Add about 2 tsp of sugar
- Whisk to combine
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat
- The liquid will reduce and coat the back of a spoon)
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle feta.
- Turn on broiler and broil until crust browns a bit. Be careful. Your pizza will burn. And you will cry.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Drizzle with reduction and enjoy!
© 2017 by Alexa Mason. All Rights Reserved