Lasagna is one of those meals that you whip up and you know you won’t have to worry about dinner for a couple of nights. It’s also one of those meals that allow you to load up on veggies! If you punch up the flavor, even the most anti-veg person will devour a serving or few.
Yields 15 lasagna rolls
Box of lasagna noodles
5 Spicy Italian sausage
small yellow onion
half of a green bell pepper
1 large zucchini
3 large carrots
1 pack of frozen chopped spinach
pint of reduced fat ricotta
4 cloves of garlic
Your favorite tomato sauce
Your preferred shredded cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil.
- Boil the lasagna noodles.
- Using a mandolin slicer, create zucchini ribbons and carrot ribbons
- Defrost spinach
- Brown your sausage or other ground meat (this could be a omitted for a completely vegetarian recipe)
- Add chopped garlic, onion and pepper, cook until just softened, season with salt and pepper.
- Drain your noodles, should be al dente
- Remove the meat and veg from the pan and drain in a strainer or a paper towel
- Drain spinach, season with salt, pepper and about 1 tsp garlic powder.
- Season ricotta with 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp kosher salt and a pinch of crushed pepper, mix to combine
- Take one noodle and “paint” ricotta mixture using a spoon or a spatula
- Lay carrot ribbons, sprinkle spinach, sprinkle meat mixture and top with cheese
- Tightly roll the noodles up
- Nestle a zucchini ribbon overtop, repeat until your pan is full. My pan was 13×9 and that fit 15 rolls. Lightly sprinkle kosher salt over your ribbon-wrapped rolls.
- Top with your favorite tomato sauce (I used 2 parts canned diced tomato and 1 part canned crushed tomato that I seasoned it up using my go-to’s: kosher salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, Italian seasoning, pinch of sugar and a dash of fish sauce).
- Generously top with your preferred shredded cheese
- Bake covered with foil for 45 minutes then uncovered until bubbling and the edges start to brown.
© 2016 by Alexa Mason. All Rights Reserved